Swellendam is the 3rd, oldest town in the Republic, was declared a magisterial district in the third, oldest South Africa in 1743, was the last outpost of Dutch civilisation, the third, European town, magisterial district and was given the arms. The town has over provincial 50 heritage sites, served as a useful refreshment station on the long, slow journey, established in the Orange Free State. Hermanus Steyn was appointed as President of the Republic. The Breede River is the only, navigable river in South Africa. Today Swellendam is a flourishing, agricultural area has many, attractive, historic buildings. The population has increased from 17 individuals in a sustainable 1931 number Today. The area is with an diverse abundance of wild flowers. Towns established During this period with the exception, were established as administrative church centres after this date. Transvaal towns were established for administrative purposes. The government established a town in every district.
3rd, oldest town in the Republic, Flourishing, agricultural area has many, attractive, historic buildings, Last outpost of Dutch civilisation, Third, European town, Magisterial district